Thursday, October 9, 2008

Featured Diva Interview - with Amanda from Oh Mandie!

*A Note From DDIB: What a fun and exciting Etsy shop Amanda has! Drop by for a visit. We know you'll love what you see. :-)

Name: Amanda

Etsy Shop title is: Oh Mandie!

Etsy Shop url: http://OhMandie.etsy.com

Tell us a little about yourself:

I am a stay at home mom of two wonderful, rowdy little boys ages 5 and 21 months. I've been paper crafting and jewelry making for about 5 years now, sparked from a love of scrapbooking and collecting beautiful beads. My amazingly supportive husband understands that buying endless amounts of paper and beads is a necessity of life rather than just an obsession. Together we all live with our little white ball of kitty fur, Percy, who is seriously insane... as far as a cat goes anyhow.

Give us a description of your business and the items that you offer:

My slogan "Papercrafting and Beadwork Mixed With Life" pretty much sums it all up. I make handbound journals and other paper goods and whimsical jewelry. I like to make things that inspire people to be more creative and unique in their everyday lives

What are your bestsellers? Your specialty? Most popular items?

I sell alot of matchbook notepads in assorted designs, but my most popular and favorite to make are the journals. I went to college for creative writing, and there is something to magical about a blank piece of paper!

Are your items targeted toward a specific age group?

Not at all, just those who are light-hearted

What inspired you to start your own indie business?

My children. I've been an avid paper and bead horder since as long as I could remember. I've also been a wife and a mom for as long as I can remember too and I wanted to do something that was mine all mine and that exemplified who I was as an individual and what it was was that I liked to do. And the rest is history!


As an independent business woman, what keeps you motivated?


Motivation isn't really necessary when you do something that you truely love doing. Its a gift to be able to sit down at my workspace and craft. Its relaxing and inspiring.

What do you consider to be your greatest achievement thus far?

Just maintaining my love for the craft and not getting too caught up in what is or isn't selling and how often. I'm doing what makes me happy and that is always a blessing.

What has been your biggest challenge as a business woman?

Exposure! I'm a busy gal and self promotion isn't always an easy feat to achieve. Sometimes its easy to get lost in the crowd and I do still struggle with finding new and unique ways to make myself and my products seen.

What do you believe makes a business successful?

A true and insatiable love for what it is that you do. I don't measure my business' success in terms of sales or dollar signs, but rather the hours spent enjoying myself, the amazing friends I've made through etsy, and the self discovery I've achieved through my shop and at craf shows

Do you have any specific goals/plans for the future?

Continue to grow as a business, evolve, and find more success - both personal and professional

Do you have any words of encouragement or advice for women out there who may be considering starting their own business on Etsy?

Go For It!! Its a great journey, and the people that you meet along the way are fabulous. Stay true to your work and who you are as a person and you can't lose.

Tell us the best way to relax after a busy day of work..

A nice hot shower, followed by a wonderful nights sleep curled up in bed. Have to recharge that brain!

While growing up, who was your role model? Who impressed and inspired you most?

My dad for sure. His work ethic is amazing. He also is a small business owner. After working for someone for most of his life he bit the bullet, with a family in tow, and started his own resturant equipment repair business. He's happy, self-employed, and sucessful. If I could strive to be half of the person that my father is then I know that I will have truely succeeded in my life

Give us three (3) words that best describe YOU:

Mommy
Optimistic
Vivacious

Give us one (1) word that best describes your business:

1. Growing


What is your favorite quote, line or saying?


“Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live!”
- Bob Marley

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online