Thursday, November 13, 2008

Featured Diva Interview - with Kim from kimsmissprissy

*A Note From DDIB: What a darling shop! Why, just the name alone makes you smile.:-) Believe us....you (and your little ones too) will fall head over heels in love with the "girly things for girly girls" that Kim offers in her shop. Enjoy the interview and be sure to bookmark her site.

*** INTRODUCING OUR FEATURED DIVA ***

Name: Kim Austin
Etsy Shop: kimsmissprissy
Etsy Shop url: www.kimsmissprissy.etsy.com


Tell us a little about yourself:


I am married with three children 1 son 18, 1 daughter 14, 1 daughter 6. I am a 6th grade Science and Social Studies Teacher and have been teaching for 14 years. I love spending time crafting or reading.

Give us a description of your business and the items that you offer:

I have a small business that is slowly growing. I started out selling to my friends that wanted hairbows for their daughters and slowly developed from there. I then did a few craft shows and currently wholesale items to a local children's boutique. I have been setting up my online store and website, missprissybows.com, and it should be up and running in the next week or so. Currently my shop focuses on hairbows, clippies, ponytail streamers, and burp cloths. I make my bowboards and bulletin boards as ordered (customized). I have recently added a few embroidery items like the acrylic beverage bottles, key rings, and desktop pencil holders. I also have added a few pet items as well, such as the acrylic monogrammed pet bowl and personalized bandanas.

What are your bestsellers? Your specialty? Most popular items?

My hairbows are the heart of my business and sell steadily throughout the year. One of my most popular items would have to be my custom bowboards. These sell like hotcakes during the holiday season! My specialty would have to be the fact that I customize and LOVE IT! It feels so much more personal when you know who you are making something for as you create it. You just seem to put a little more love into those items.

Are your items targeted toward a specific age group?

Most of my hair accesories are targeted towards girls from 0-18. I do have some items that could be for any age, such as my Ponytail Pizzaz button covered ponytail holders, some clips, and of course the bulletin boards.

What inspired you to start your own indie business?

I have always been an entrepreneur at heart. My friends use to laugh at me because I would see something and say..."I could make that!", and would usually try. My youngest daughter is the prissy one and hairbows were a necessity! I decided to learn how to make them myself, and from there people started asking me to make bows for them. It was just perfect to me. Doing something fun and getting paid for it.


As an independent business woman, what keeps you motivated?


Hmmm..I would have to say that it is one of the few things I do not have to motivate myself to do. I love creating these things and seeing others enjoy them.

What do you consider to be your greatest achievement thus far?

That would have to be raising my three wonderful children. They are the light of my life and I am so proud of all three of them.

What has been your biggest challenge as a business woman?

My biggest challenge would be having confidence. Although I make quality items and I would never sell anything I would not buy myself, I still can't believe people want to buy my things. I've had to work really hard to charge what is fair...I've been told I tend to underestimate the value of my product.

What do you believe makes a business successful?

perserverance and a love for what you do

Do you have any specific goals/plans for the future?

For now, I am building my Etsy business and about to launch my online shop. I think that will keep me hopping.

Do you have any words of encouragement or advice for women out there who may be considering starting their own business on Etsy?

Don't be afraid to do what you love. If you love what you do, it will show in your work and keep you going. Go for it and take life day by day.

Tell us the best way to relax after a busy day of work..

I LOVE a good nap...but chocolate and a good book work wonders too!

While growing up, who was your role model? Who impressed and inspired you most?

My mother was ALWAYS my role model. She raised three girls as a single mom and her work ethic, love, and determination inspire me to this day! She built her way up from a waitress to a restaraunt owner and did it all on her own!


Give us three (3) words that best describe YOU:

Competetive
Honest
Determined

Give us one (1) word that best describes your business:

Girly

What is your favorite quote, line or saying?

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online